Hi, I'm a language-agnostic dev who loves learning how to write code that's easy to understand and easy to test. When something is easy to understand, it's easier to extend or change. If something is easy to test, you can easily tell when it's working correctly and can be confident when making changes to it. It's a great feeling when it all comes together and you make something awesome :)
Administration: Ubuntu, Windows Server, MySQL/MariaDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Apache, Nginx
Other: HTML, CSS, .NET Framework/Mono, ASP.NET, Visual Studio, MonoDevelop/Xamarin Studio, Git
Lead software developer for internal business systems. Provide advanced technical support to design groups, engineers, and manufacturing personnel distributed globally across four time zones for applications that manage product data.
- Refactored slowest pieces of legacy code to improve performance. In most dramatic instance, time required to compare two instances of S&C's largest bill of material reduced from 2 minutes to only 6 seconds. Algorithm was used in many places and as a result of the optimization, reports that used to take over 20 minutes to be generated could be created in about 1 minute.
- Developed application to automate the engineering process of creating a new bill of material for an existing product where the only difference is paint color. Previously, due to the part naming convention used at S&C, this process could take hours. Using the new tool, creating a new color variant would only take anywhere from 3 to 30 seconds depending on the complexity of the product.
- Designed and developed approval system for engineering change orders originating from Wisconsin facility to replace legacy approval system. System was well-received and expanded to additional S&C facility located in Toronto, Canada to replace paper-driven process. Wrote documentation and travelled to Wisconsin and Toronto facilities to provide training to all users.
- Enhanced existing application by adding integration between product data management system (PDM) and enterprise resource planning system (ERP) to allow shop-floor personnel to submit production support requests to engineering departments. Ensured data integrity and expanded functionality to allow engineers and managers to better track status and set disposition of support requests. Used as learning opportunity for engineering co-op student and assisted him in re-designing and developing new front-end. Based on employee feedback, ease of use was greatly improved.
- Designed and developed tool to convert 3D computer-aided-design (CAD) product structure to bill of material structure in PDM system. Saved designers hours of time for complex products that would otherwise have been spent on data entry.
- Enhanced existing web-based application used to retrieve technical drawings to also retrieve bill of material from ERP system in the same query. Used latest available technology at the time in the .NET stack including Web API 2 and TypeScript. Retrieval time of the information was reduced to less than 1 second compared to approximately 5 seconds using an alternative desktop-based application that retrieved the same data.
Graduated with distinction. Elective coursework included: Compiler Design, Usability Engineering, Software Security Assessment, Concurrent Software Development, Database Programming, Database System Implementation, Advanced Database Concepts, and Intelligent Information Retrieval
Successful completion of the Cooperative Education with Industry (Co-Op) program. Engineering-related elective coursework included: Object Oriented Programming Using C++ and Java, Fundamentals of Computer Graphics, Introduction to Computer Security, Operating Systems Engineering, and ASIC Design Laboratory